Following the fire in the Orchard on 25th August, we are compiling a wishlist for repairs and improvements to prevent recurrence of the vandalism we’ve experienced recently.
Here’s a list of things that we lost in the fire:
- between 200 & 300m of hosepipe. Long enough to reach from Queensbridge Road to the park! For our system of interconnected water collectors and storage.
- 3 large water barrels, 2 smaller ones
- 4 fenceposts, tanalised, 3m x 100×100 (4″x4″)
- 4 sheets of 3/4 plywood hoarding
- small folding table
- small wooden stool
- mud kitchen utensils of various sorts
- guttering and downpipes
- landscape fabric
- reinforced polythene sheeting
- regular polytunnel UV-resistant sheeting
- rolls of chicken wire
- roll of rubber mat
- polythene tarp
- some work gloves
- several water buckets
- polytunnel shelving
- Frame and polycarbonate ‘glazing’ parts of a small greenhouse that hadn’t been assmbled.
- a small gazebo
- our wormery!
Things we need for an improved rebuild
… coming soon!
We’ll post links and send out a notice once we’ve got a clear idea.
It will be a list of things that will improve security and durability. We will aim for some bigger-ticket items to make sure the rebuild is more durable than what we have/had.
For example, we should replace some plastic supports with metal or wire, should have a good size fire extinguisher within easy reach, and replace our gates and fencing with something more difficult to get through.